Welcome: An Introduction

Sharing the insights I discover as I explore and experience the mystery that is our reality. Join me in my journey and share yours.




Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Not Your Typical Church


Have you ever felt like you can't relate to the atmosphere and structure of a given church? Like you just don't fit in to some of the themes and traditions expressed during a service? Some churches are getting creative in their attempts of reaching out to populations of Christians and seekers that have turned away from  attending church for just those reasons. They are offering a refreshing change to the stereotypical image of a church and, while maintaining the integrity of doctrine, offering alternative-style services that bring both a modern twist and back some ancient practices that have long been forgotten from many denominations.

Take a look at the video below and tell me what you think! This video highlights the approaches that a church, "House for all Sinners and Saints" in Colorodo is using to reach groups of people that have been missing from most of our churches. It is led by Reverend  Nadia Bolz-Weber.  You can visit their website here: http://www.houseforall.org/ 

Their website higlights the various groups they offer and I was impressed to see they have a contemplative prayer group! I wish a church near me had one of those!


Please leave your thoughts and comments in the comments section! Would you attend a church like? Why or why not?





Breaking Bread with Sinners and Saints from Rocky Mountain Synod, ELCA on Vimeo.

5 comments:

  1. Hi Jessica:
    Welcome back from your vacation. Hope you had a restful time. This church sounds AMAZING. Looks like they do SOME of the same things that the Universalist Church does that I've gone to here in Madison a few times.
    --Including all denominations into their fold.
    --Including everyone into the service.
    etc.

    I like this idea very much.
    Thanks for sharing this.
    --
    Chris

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nadia has quite the vision for outreach and inclusion of parishioners in the service, a more creative style of worship, a place more conducive to intimacy than allowed in most churches. Naturally these services will attract more youth and young adults than traditional settings. I like that she gives the flock a voice and includes their input.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was reared in a very traditional Methodist church but the modern churches hold much appeal and promise for many reasons. While I enjoy the aspect of dressing up for Sunday service, the option of wearing shorts and flip flops sounds good if that's what I desire and the influx of young people due to the relaxed standards is good in the long run. It was not uncommon to see folks drinking starbucks, etc while the pastor is preaching away and that's okay in moderation.

    The church that accepted Erin into the folds was an off-shoot of the largest church in Savannah and the amount of folks attending the morning service is amazingly large. A traditional church would never accept a dog through their doors regardless of their resume so yes I'm all for alternative churches as long as they stick to the scriptures found in the Bible which our's did.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like the fact that the church welcomes you to come as you are. As God's child and to freely absorb the words of God. There are some churches around here like that, but too far for me to travel.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love that all types of churches are sprouting up. There is definitely a need. P.S. Welcome back!

    ReplyDelete