Welcome: An Introduction

Sharing the insights I discover as I explore and experience the mystery that is our reality. Join me in my journey and share yours.




Friday, April 29, 2011

I Am the Great Sun: Charles Causley

I am the great sun, but you do not see me,
I am your husband, but you turn away.
I am the captive, but you do not free me.
I am the captain you will not obey.

I am the truth, but you will not believe me,
I am the city where you will not stay,
I am your wife, your child, but you will leave me,
I am that God to whom you will not pray.

I am your counsel, but you will not hear me,
I am the lover whom you will betray,
I am the victor, but you will not cheer me,
I am the holy dove you will slay.

I am your life, but if you will not name me,
Seal up your soul with tears, and never blame me.






                                                           photo obtained at: googleimages


I came across this poem a short while ago and felt prompted to share it here. I would love any thoughts or reactions you might have towards it.  It conveys the fact that God is always present and willing to guide, protect and comfort mankind but oftentimes we fail or refuse to recognize His reality.  Our great God is a God of compassion and love who welcomes us into His embrace. Manifestations of His glory surround us and our interwoven in and throughout Creation, yet many times mankind simply accepts the masterpiece but rejects the artist.

I don't think this poem is just towards those who reject the reality of God though, it can be for all of us to reflect on.  I think there's bound to be an area in everyone's life where we haven't fully offered it up to God in trust and faith. Perhaps something to meditate on after reading this poem is what areas there are in our lives that we have trusted ourselves first and foremost on instead of submitting it to God and seeking His will in that area. Or perhaps there are things that we turn to comfort us (like food, drink, tv)  instead of turning to God to soothe and heal us.

Another thing one can do after reading this poem is simply to go outside and feel, hear and sense all of Creation around you. Look at the beauty and perfection of nature and see the reality and love of the Creator that is interwoven in the Creation and rejoice in the fact that that same Creator is interwoven within your soul as well, seated on its throne. We are never alone, He is always with us. The lover of our souls :)

Any thoughts? I'd love to hear them! They are always appreciated :)


15 comments:

  1. who took the image..I do not see a photo credit?

    ReplyDelete
  2. it's from google images! good point, I should have added that, figures a photographer would catch it! Thanks though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely words, I always feel more connected to God when I'm out amongst nature. There's no denying Christ exists after peering closely at a flower...heaven's handiwork indeed. Beautiful photo. Thanks for sharing!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. so much image theft that goes out here that we get touchy lol Thats why I have our copyright printed across our images

    Good post as always

    http://jpweddingphotograpy.blogspot.com/2011/04/romance-passion-and-sex-wow-what-blog.html

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely post Jessica, and what a good poem! Off to reflect right now... : ) x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very thought-provoking, thank you...

    This reminded me of the story of Hosea from the Bible. It reminded me of how Hosea married Gomer, a prostitute who was repeatedly unfaithful to him, who rejected him and scorned his love. But, Hosea stuck by Gomer and loved her, as an illustration of God's great love for His people, and His people's tendency to be unfaithful to Him and to chase after other things...

    Like you say, it reminds us that God is always there, and God longs for us to realise that we ignore Him, we reject Him, we scorn His love and chase after other things...and He longs for us to come back to Him...

    ReplyDelete
  7. I believe in you,Jessica...God is there always..even at our most difficult times.

    ReplyDelete
  8. So true Jessica… “Manifestations of His glory surround us and are interwoven in and throughout Creation, yet many times mankind simply accepts the masterpiece but rejects the artist.” Powerful line!

    This poem is a wonderful reflection on the many offerings of God that we may unknowingly reject – for whatever reason. It depicts the Christ in “all things,” in the everyday sacred… and yet sometimes we just don’t recognize him. I pray for eyes to see and hears to hear him always.

    ReplyDelete
  9. May we all pray the same...to be ever awakened to greater depths of awareness to His presence and truth. Thank you so much Debra for your thoughts, I always love to hear them :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Natalie, what beautiful insights...thank you so much for stopping by and sharing them with everyone. I loved how you brought up the story of Hosea, a great application :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. hi, I enjoyed reading your blog and I am not very religious at all.
    thanks

    ReplyDelete
  12. Jenny, so glad you that you stopped by to read some of the posts and enjoyed them!Please feel free to visit again. ~blessings :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. headwind-1 tassman the passman

    ReplyDelete
  14. Greetings, I have read this poem/riddle a bit differently than what has been offered thus far. I do not see it as being a provocation to look external for anything, rather, it seems to bring our focus to the "I" or the internal being. Each line, with the exception of the last begins with "I." It also seems that each line brings its own answer. Each line points us to the inner being and that inner being could be God, Source, Universe, or whatever you choose. No matter what you choose it points you towards your inner truth, being, and unique power and purpose on this journey we call life. And discovering the inner being brings about a non-attachment to the external, withering away, time dependent world, where true love does not live. Once an inner discovery begins the radiance, joy and peace gently saturates everything; both the time dependent and the timeless. Peace to you, Greg

    ReplyDelete