Welcome: An Introduction

Sharing the insights I discover as I explore and experience the mystery that is our reality. Join me in my journey and share yours.




Friday, March 4, 2011

Seeds and Soil: Is your Heart Ready?

"Every moment and every event of every man's life on earth plants something in his soul. For just as the wind carries thousands of winged seeds, so each moment brings with it germs of spiritual vitality that come to rest imperceptibly in the minds and wills of men. Most of these unnumbered seeds perish and are lost, because men are not prepared to receive them: for such seeds as those cannot spring up anywhere except in the good soil of freedom, spontaneity and love."
                                 ~ Thomas Merton, Seeds of Contemplation








Is your heart fertile to receive the seeds that God sends to you? What kind of soil do the seeds that rain down upon our souls find? Soil that is frozen and difficult to penetrate? Soil that is overridden with weeds that threaten to choke any sign of new growth? Or soil carefully managed with mindful devotion and love, clear of weeds, nourished by the eternal waters of God and expectantly prepared for a garden of amazing diversity and beauty to blossom upon it's fertile landscape? 




Heavenly Father,

We thank you for your great mercy and grace. We pray that you help clear our hearts of distractions, illusions and attachments as we open them up to you.  Help make them wide and empty spaces so that your love might flood through them, washing them with your eternal waters, making the soil of our souls pure and rich and ready to receive the seeds that you shower upon us every moment. May we take those seeds and let them bear fruit within our hearts so that we might bring you great glory. Nourishing them with the manna of Scripture and with our prayers and praises lifted high towards you like incense rising to your throne.  

May we bring you all glory, honor and praise.

In the name of Jesus,
Amen.

12 comments:

  1. As always you penned a nice post, the words certainly get me to evaluate my relationship with God. Blessings for you!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. “…..Most of these unnumbered seeds perish and are lost, because men are not prepared to receive them: for such seeds as those cannot spring up anywhere except in the good soil of freedom, spontaneity and love."

    I think of the parable of the sower and the seeds. Some fell on good soil (purity of heart), others on stony ground (on hard and unforgiving hearts) … some among the weeds (hearts preoccupied with the cares of the world).

    Jessica, these thoughts and meditations... may they always fall on fertile ground here.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My hope is that I am ready to receive what he wants to give me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your perspective. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I try very hard to be that human being who can receive... receive enough so that when I have to give I have plenty... but at the same I want to give all I have even when there is nothing or little - Sorry for talking in riddles - I think only I can understand what i am trying to say here... : ) My latest post is at http://kriti-howaboutthis.blogspot.com/2011/03/dads-diary-8-vedanta-as-i-understand-it.html

    ReplyDelete
  6. Debra..thanks for that reflection, I do think that parable fits well with Merton's message :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Andrea,
    Many blessings to you :)

    Abhisek, David, Carol thank you...so glad you liked it :) Thanks for stopping by :) ~blessings

    ReplyDelete
  8. Kriti, thanks for our thoughts, I look forward to reading your post :)
    ~blessings

    ReplyDelete
  9. I was reminded about Matthew 13:22, when Jesus talks about seed falling among the thorns that refers to someone who hears the word, but the worries of this life and the deceitfulness of wealth choke that very word, making it unfruitful. Normally this passage is used to describe people coming to Jesus Christ but after meditating on this post I realized that it can mean that I can miss what God is telling me if I am too caught up in life to hear God's daily word to me. ~Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a great reflection on Matthew 13:22 Bill, thanks so much for sharing! I believe that to be a very important observation. I think that all of us can fall prey to life's distractions which drown out the whispers of the Spirit and also the pure devotion that we are called to have for God.
    Thanks for visiting :)
    ~blessings

    ReplyDelete