Welcome: An Introduction

Sharing the insights I discover as I explore and experience the mystery that is our reality. Join me in my journey and share yours.




Friday, February 4, 2011

In Memory of Rosa Parks, Born This Day 98 Years Ago

" People always say that I didn't give up my seat because I was tired, but that isn't true. No, the only tired I was, was tired of giving in."
                 ~ Rosa Parks






Rosa Parks departed this world  on October 24, 2008 but her legacy lives on in the heart of this nation.  Her legendary boldness of standing up to oppression by refusing to give up her seat on a public bus to a white passenger, breaking current law, was a spark that ignited a fire that helped give birth to the civil rights movement.

Congress would later refer to her as "the first lady of civil rights" and "the mother of the freedom movement".

Let's find ourselves inspired today by this woman of courage and integrity. She risked much for standing against what she knew was wrong. May we all find the courage and boldness in Christ when we see humanity threatened to step up and raise a voice against oppression and cruelty.




Heavenly Father,

Thank You for blessing us with beautiful individuals of courage and grace who help light a path for us to follow. May we, like Rosa Parks, follow the footsteps of Jesus and overturn the tables of moneychangers. Help give us the courage to raise our voices against the darkness in the world-the oppression, the cruelty and the chains that threaten to bind themselves around the hearts of Your children, threatening to prevent them from finding freedom in You. May Your Spirit guide us, with discernment, into bringing Your light and Kingdom to this place, often filled with chaos and suffering. Help us to bind the brokenhearted, bring good news the poor and free Your people from all forms of oppression.

Glory to the Father, and to the Son, and to the Holy Spirit, as it was in the beginning, is now, and will be forever. 
Amen. 

6 comments:

  1. Thanks for rembering this great lady... I am now Following
    http://jpweddingphotograpy.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad you enjoyed the post ...she is an inspiration to us all :) I look forward to checking your blog out.
    ~blessings

    ReplyDelete
  3. great post, I realy like you layout, I will be visiting again, for shure.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you! I appreciate your kind comment :) Hope to have you back here again soon!
    ~blessings

    ReplyDelete
  5. One day my daughter and her homeschool cohorts dramatized the story of Rosa Parks on the bus. We lined chairs up as bus seats, cast passengers, bus driver (Karen Groce was the meanest bus driver in the world!), Rosa Parks (Shelly Dejesus), and police officers on the scene to arrest brave Rosa. I doubt any of the girls will ever forget the heroism of Rosa Parks. Thank you for this tribute to her Jessica. What an example of courage!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a great activity to do with the kids! And a very meaningful one that taught important lessons that they can could take on through life!

    ReplyDelete