Welcome: An Introduction

Sharing the insights I discover as I explore and experience the mystery that is our reality. Join me in my journey and share yours.




Saturday, January 8, 2011

In the Silence of a Prayer

Praying
by Mary Oliver


It doesn't have to be
the blue iris, it could be
weeds in a vacant lot, or a few
small stones; just
pay attention, then patch

a few words together and don't try
to make them elaborate, this isn't
a contest but the doorway

into thanks, and a silence in which
another voice may speak.






Heavenly Father,

Thank You for bringing us into a new day. May we walk in this day with souls that are filled with the peace of Your presence. May our praises and prayers rise up to You as fragrant offerings. May we  keep our prayers simple. May our words be few yet meaningful, may they be like golden apples in a setting of silver. Help open our hearts up to the silence where we can learn to hear Your gentle whispers of love, of instruction, of truth. Let our prayers not just be a list of petitions, but intimate conversations with You. Help us carry Your truth into this world in ways that lift up others and glorify Your holy name.

Glory to the Father, and to the Son, and to the Holy Spirit, as it was in the beginning, is now, and will be forever. Amen.

6 comments:

  1. You're good! Very apt for many areas in life. It shouldn't be a competition!
    Blossom where you sit!

    Cheers

    ReplyDelete
  2. I believe words aren't even necessary in prayer if your heart is in tune with God. He feels us all the time and knows what we need better than we do. The heart has it's own language that our mind's can't begin to understand. As long as your heart is in it God feels you! I had an experience 17 years ago with God (Turning Point post)that changed my life and I felt him explain this to me so I am working on that knowing within me as everyone feels it differently. You are on the mark with not making it elaborate or using someone else's words but finding your own voice within your heart to speak with God. Nice post and prayer!

    ReplyDelete
  3. "Love offers its wisdom generously. Everything teaches. Life asks of us the same thing we have been asked in every class: 'Stay awake.'
    'Pay attention.'" ~Rachel Naomi Remen

    Love the poem by Mary Oliver!
    And I love walking daily with my friend Jessica, a soul that is filled with the peace of His presence.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Alejandro,

    Thank you so much for your comment :) I'm glad you enjoyed the post. I love how you wrote, "blossom where you sit"...so true! Sometimes we can't choose where life plants us, in our circumstances, etc...but we can choose how we react in them and what we make of life. Beautiful thought.
    Many blessings,
    Jessica

    ReplyDelete
  5. Deanne,

    Thank you so much for your comment. I love how you put it, that the heart "has its own language". I agree. Words are symbols for concepts and meanings..and when it comes to God...whose understanding far exceeds are own, whose reality far exceeds the boundaries of words...a heart's prayer in silence can be a very a transforming way of communicating with Him.

    I have been practicing contemplative prayer for about a year now and have found it has added a whole new dimension of insight..of experience...to my faith. It's really transformed it and has drawn me deeper and more intimately into the arms of God. I do still pray with words, it all depends upon the moment...when praying with words..I've learned to not speak in monologues to our Father...but have simple conversations...and what a blessing it is to converse with our God! :)

    Thank you for sharing your experiences here. Feel free to leave a link to your blog so that others who might read these comments could visit :)
    Light and love,
    Jessica

    ReplyDelete
  6. Debra,

    Thank you for that amazing quote! It is so filled with truth...I shared it with my fb friends! I might even post it on my blog's wall..it has an important message...attentiveness...if we all were more attentive...people in general..this world would be a different place. Ok..I could write a lot about this..it might even be a blog entry!

    I love sharing thoughts, prayers and time with you too...your blog is a source of refreshment and inspiration and so are your comments.

    Blessings and love,
    Jessica

    ReplyDelete